Sunday, October 3, 2010

Book Club Forum #8: The Help

Book Selection Status: READ
Month: October 2010
Genre: Fiction Literature:
Book of the Month: They Help
Author: Kathyrn Stockett

Discussion Questions:
1. Who was your favorite character? Why?

2. What do you think motivated Hilly? On the one hand she is terribly cruel to Aibileen and her own help, as well as to Skeeter once she realizes that she can't control her. Yet she's a wonderful mother. Do you think that one can be a good mother but, at the same time, a deeply flawed person?
3. Like Hilly, Skeeter's mother is a prime example of someone deeply flawed yet somewhat sympathetic. She seems to care for Skeeter--and she also seems to have very real feelings for Constantine. Yet the ultimatum she gives to Constantine is untenable; and most of her interaction with Skeeter is critical. Do you think Skeeter's mother is a sympathetic or unsympathetic character? Why?
4. How much of a person's character would you say is shaped by the times in which they live?
5. Did it bother you that Skeeter is willing to overlook so many of Stuart's faults so that she can get married, and that it's not until he literally gets up and walks away that the engagement falls apart?
6. Do you believe that Minny was justified in her distrust of white people?

7. Do you think that had Aibileen stayed working for Miss Elizabeth, that Mae Mobley would have grown up to be racist like her mother? Do you think racism is inherent, or taught?

8. From the perspective of a twenty-first century reader, the hairshellac system that Skeeter undergoes seems ludicrous. Yet women still alter their looks in rather peculiar ways as the definition of "beauty" changes with the times. Looking back on your past, what's the most ridiculous beauty regimen you ever underwent?

9. The author manages to paint Aibileen with a quiet grace and an aura of wisdom about her. How do you think she does this?

10. Do you think there are still vestiges of racism in relationships where people of color work for people who are white? Have you heard stories of parents who put away their valuable jewelry before their nanny comes? Paradoxically, they trust the person to look after their child but not their diamond rings?

11. What did you think about Minny's pie for Miss Hilly? Would you have gone as far as Minny did for revenge?

3 comments:

bikki said...

1. I had a hard time choosing a favorite character - but I suppose I would choose Skeeter. I could relate best to her wanting to do more - realizing that the whole world was not Jackson and that there was more out there than what she had grown up with and was surrounded by.

2. I think Hilly is motivated by her own sense of self-importance and how she thinks the world should be. I do think someone can be a good mother and be flawed - it all depends on your definition of a good mother.

3. I think Skeeter's mother is representative of her time and location and in that sense I found her a sympathetic character. I thought her actions we horrible.

4. I think a portion of a person's character is shaped by the time in which they live. the expectations of society play a role in how we see/think/feel about things around us and whether we think they are right or wrong. I think we are also shaped by our upbringing - who raises us, where we are raised, who we are surrounded by. Then there is just the part of us that is us.

5. No, Skeeter is trying to fit into the acceptable social standards of her time and place. Stuart is the first man that has shown serious interest in her - I think she would forgive him a lot. She is only doing what many young women would have done at that time.

6. Yes, she didn't have any reason to trust them.

7. No, I do not think Mae Mobley would have grown up to be a racist had Aibileen continued working for them. I do think racism is taught.

8. The most ridiculous thing I did was go to the tanning salon. I am as fair as could be, but I thought I needed to be tan - it was a lot of work!

9. By making Aibileen older, more reflective, and a well respected person in her community, the author has portrayed her as wise.

10. I think you could find examples of racism today. I think people generally put too much emphasis on material possessions so it wouldn't surprise me that they are hiding valuable things, but not be worried about who they are leaving their children with, but I don't know those people.

11. I thought the pie was a bit extreme, but I don't blame Minny. Hilly was deserving of some retribution. I would never go that far but I do believe that most people will get what is coming to them without me being directly involved.

MsFinney said...

1. Minny. I could relate to her character and I just love her in the book.

2. Hatred, envy and ignorance motivated Hilly and most people like her.



3. Her mother only knows what she been taught and refuse to change, so I think she sympathetic depending what it is.
4. Very much. You have a group of children who grew up with a black president that will leave different imprint in their mind.

5. I think when you want something so much you become blind to it. I glad Skeeter didn’t marry Stuart because she would have been so miserable.
6. Yes..indeed. You see how fast those women start firing their help because Miss Hilly told them too. Aibileen almost went to jail and it wasn’t because Miss Elizabeth had her back. Trust is hard, but with anybody you have to learn who to trust, no matter what color. Unfortunately because these things happen and they still do in some ways at very young age, most color children are told NOT to trust white people.

7. That’s hard to say, but Miss Elizabeth was just ignorant and was a follower. If making a color person was in style I bet she would do it. LOL!
Racism is not inherent. As a child you love everyone, it’s not until when you get older that adults whether it’s your parent, relative, teacher, etc… teach and make you aware of our difference, instead of similarities. It’s taught behavior, unfortunately the message of hate is all around us, it’s hard to shield your child from it, but we should try in every means. Just like what Aibileen was trying to do with Mae Mobley (by the way, who names their child that).

8. Perming my hair. Happy to say I stopped.

9. By her dialogue and descriptions. The pray books helps in that description.

10. Part 1O yes. I am speaking as a woman of color and with a black president there is still just as much racism regarding people of all color. It’s done more in an underhanded way than outright. It could be done in way of enforcing different polices or not at all. Job responsibilities where the salary doesn’t reflect that amount of duties. Job promotions and hiring practices and I can go on and on about this.
Part 2 This is the ironic thing about this story and real life stories of black, Hispanic, etc…help. Is that you trust them with your most precious possession…….your child…but you have a problem with me going to your bathroom and being around your worldly material items. What backwards thinking…very screwed up…….indeed

My mother told me stories when she worked as housekeeper when she was very young and she told me all of these stories are true. Now not just in the South, but when moved up North.

11. Who knows what I would have done, but probably not. Minny often let her emotions get the best out of her, not to say what she said and done I really can’t blame her.

MsFinney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.