Month: July 2010
Genre: Non-fiction Literature:
Book of the Month: The Same Kind of Different as Me
Authors: Ron Hall, Denver Moore, Lynn Vincent
Question source: http://www.litlovers.com/guide_same_kind_of_different.html
2. Why does he agree to volunteer at the homeless shelter, and what is his initial reaction in doing so?
3. Talk about the trajectory of Denver Moore's life. What events have landed him in the homeless shelter?
4. Discuss the differences between his life and Ron Hall's. What is Denver's world view?
5. Talk about Deborah Hall? What inspires her life? What does she think of Denver Moore?
6. Eventually, Denver and Ron, two men who have lived vastly different lives, become close friends. What do the two see in one another? What draws them together?
7. What are the symbolic implications of the conversation about how white men fish, especially their catch-and-release method? What does that conversation say about each man, and what is the underlying message that Denver is trying to pass onto Ron?
8. What is the meaning of the book's title, "Same Kind of Difference as Me"? What does it refer to?
9. How do both men change by the end of the book? What do they learn from or teach each other?
10. This is a story about how hate and prejudice can be overcome by love and grace. How difficult is that achievement in most of our lives? What can this book teach us?
11. Does this book inspire you? If so, in what ways?